Received this great recipe from my Mother, who makes excellent Rasam, Sambhar and Vangibath powder in an authentic way.
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1½ cups coriander seeds /dhania
- ½ cup channa dal
- ½ cup urad dal
- 8 to 10 inch cinnamon stick
- 5 to 6 cloves
- 25 red chillies (smooth skin variety which is gives hotness -also called guntur red chilli)
- 55 to 60 byadgi red chillies (wrinkled skin variety which gives good color) If byadgi chillies are not available, use the other variety around 50.
- Heat the oil in the pan on medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add channa dal and urad dal .
- Fry it until it turns golden brown.
- Now add cinnamon,cloves, and red chillies.Roast it until the chilies becomes warm.
- Finally add coriander seeds,mix well.Fry for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool completely.Then grind it to a fine powder.
- Vangibath powder is now ready.You can store it and use it to make varieties of rice dishes.