BisiBele Bhath is a rice dish which is a wholesome meal with protein, carbohydrates and vegetables.
- ½ cup toor dal/togari bele
- ¾ cup rice
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 3 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp Bisibele baath powder
- small marble size jaggery
- small lemon size tamarind soaked in water(1½ tbsp juice)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- ½ cup shredded fresh coconut
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ tbsp mustard seeds
- Pinch of hing/asafoetida
- ¼ cup dried green peas(soak it overnight,yield ½ cup peas)
- around 35 Green beans (cut into pieces)
- 1 big carrot ( cut into small cubes)
- (or you can take 2 cups of mixed vegetable)
- 1 medium size onion (chopped)
- 2 small potatos
- 1 medium size kohlrabi/navilkosu ( cut into small cubes)
First wash the dal and rice in a separate container.
Add 2 cups of water to the washed rice and make it ready to keep in a pressure cooker.
For the washes dal, add all cut vegetables along with the peas.Add around 3 cups of water and also the turmeric powder.
Pressure cook both the rice and the dal with vegetables .(let it whistle for 2 times on a medium heat)Let it cool before you open the lid.
Grind the coconut, the Bisibele baath powder and soaked tamarind to a fine paste.(add water if needed)
Transfer this paste to a big pan ,add water, salt, jaggery and curry leaves. Let it boil for few minute.
Now add cooked dal and the vegetables and add a tablespoon of oil.Mix well and let it boil for few more minutes. Keep stirring in between.
Finally, add rice and mix well. At this time add a tablespoon of ghee.
Let it be on the stove for 5 more minutes on a low heat and then turn off the heat. Remember to stir in between.
Heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil in a ladle.
Add hing and mustard seeds.Let it pop.
Put this on the bisibele bath and mix well.
Enjoy the Bisibele Bath with Boondi, chips or with raitha.